Recruiting from outside the UK from January 2021?

No Comments

From 1st January 2021, a new points-based immigration system will replace free movement for hiring people from the EU.

Employers will need to be a licensed sponsor to hire eligible people from outside the UK.

Anyone you recruit from outside the UK for the Skilled Worker route will need to demonstrate that:

  • They have a job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor
  • They speak English at the required level
  • The job offer is at the required skill level of RQF3 or above (equivalent to A level)
  • They’ll be paid at least £25,600 or the ‘going rate’ for the job offer, whichever is higher (can be pro rata)

(There are some exceptions to these rules)

What you need to do now…

if you wish to employ skilled workers from outside the UK then you should apply for a license as soon as possible as although most applications are dealt with in 8 weeks, some can take longer and UK Visas and Immigration may need to visit your business. You can apply online, the fees are £536 for small businesses and £1,476 for medium or large businesses.

Links to further reading..

HM Government employers guide to becoming a sponsor

Full details of the UK Points-Based Immigration System

(including eligible occupations full list)

Apply online for your license

Previous Post
New Flexible “Furlough” How will it work?
Next Post
Managing Grief and Loss At Work